Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Fibonacci Series - the pattern of our lives?


I'm endlessly fascinated by numbers and formulas that seem to imply patterns and cycles to our everyday lives. Numbers that hint - to me at least - that there is something going on. That nature just might be in more control than we believe. And so I find The Fibonacci Series one cool cadre of numbers.

You may recall learning about them. The Fibonacci Series starts like this: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, etc. etc. If you haven't already figured it out, if you add any two adjacent numbers, the succeeding one is the sum of those two. How nifty.

Then it gets cooler: you can use The FibS to plot something called The Fibonacci Spiral using the ratio of two adjacent FibS numbers. Referred to as the Golden Ratio.

If you need more help visualizing, this fun animation should help out.

Many scientists and believers note this pattern turns up all over in nature and is the basis for architecture and tons more. I think if nature puts this spiral in sunflowers, seashells, daises, pine cones and fruit (here), then there is no reason this cannot manifest itself in our daily lives. Our feelings. The choices we make. Who we visit. When and where we go. What we notice and say.

It could be that we are constantly wandering through endless layers of FibS spirals and interacting with other people drawn into them. Or it could be that we human masses are tapped into some kinetic energy and we create these collectively, albeit unconsciously. And this is why some people experience so much coincidence, chance, and irony.

One of my favorite movies, π (1998), took on the Golden Spiral and other mathematical theories applied in the stock market and The Torah. When I saw π, it immediately hit a node within me; for the first time I felt my first real true religious experience.

There is a handful of other films that have done this to me: Primer (2004), Cube (1997) and of course Donnie Darko (2001). And let me add in while reading many of Michael Crichton's science-leaden books, especially Jurassic Park which brought Chaos Theory to the hoi polloi.

I'll get to exploring all of this wonderful stuff in the future. but for now here is a painting I did of a purple Fibonacci Spiral. The dimensions are not exact, I used a little artistic license. :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

I'm always bugged by the concept of infinite division. It seems to me that you should always be able to keep dividing a distance in half - indefinitely! Therefore, how is it you can ultimately bring two objects together until they eventually touch?

That hurts my brain.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home