Friday, February 24, 2006

JetBlue Symmetry

I love flying JetBlue. Best airline ever. Commercial over. Let's talk about last night.

I had just landed at JFK on the 750 PM from Oakland, when this gal - whose face radiated with bucket loads of sunshine - approached me rather forwardly in the terminal and asked, "Hey, wanna split a cab to Manhattan?" I replied, "Sorry I'm a Brooklyn boy, gonna catch the Airtrain."

She paused momentarily, "May I join you?"

"Well, it's a free country!"

(Okay, I really didn't say that, I sensed she had never done the Airtrain/subway thing before so I agreed to show her the ropes.)

To truncate a one hour conversation that followed: Her name was Anna. She was on the same JetBlue flight. She's also dating someone in the Bay Area. 8 months going on 9. (Our "anniversary dates" are three days apart.) She is 27, same age as Elizabeth. Her guy is almost my age. They also both met in a city that neither live in right now.

Her birthday is in March. Mine too! Her boyfriend's b-day is in April. So is Elizabeth's! They plan visits about a month in advance to save $$$, are members of TrueBlue, JetBlue's great frequent flyer program, and she's earned two free flights. Ditto here. They have the same cell service, plan inventive phone dates, and send each other fun items in the mail. They each are in a life situation that allows them to pursue this relationship (he's an entrepreneur, she sells real estate by phone.)

There's more, but I sense you get the gist.

That's a boatload of similarities. But truthfully, it didn't hit me at first cause I was just enjoying sharing a pleasant conversation with someone leading a life symmetry. We shared similar travel stories, exchanged great phone date ideas, and offered advice and encouragement. It was comforting.

Funny, you may never know how much alike your fellow traveler on a plane is. Or that guy in front of you at the supermarket. Or the woman in the car who almost hit you while you were riding your bicycle.

I believe these similarities are naturally occurring and then cajoled our way by the universe's flow, all the time, every day. If you are in tune, if you are aware, you pick up on them. Make no mistake, there is a higher order based on mathematics and symmetry and fate. That's religion to me.

Oh, and about her name being Anna. That's a palindrome, something else I marvel about. But I'll save that for a future post.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth M. said...

This is my favorite part of the post:

"Funny, you may never know how much alike the your fellow traveler on a plane is. Or that guy in front of you at the supermarket. Or the woman in the car who almost hit you while you were riding your bicycle."

If your blog were my textbook, I'd underline that section and mark some stars in the margin, then write a 3-5 page reflection paper on how we're all -way- more similar to each other than we are different. And then I'd keep it in mind for a sermon topic one day.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Clarence Jr. said...

Well my dear, since there is certainly an air of spirituality to this blog, take whatever inspiration you'd like!

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home