Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Town of Clarence

The Town of Clarence is in upstate New York. It's actually three small towns: Clarence, East Clarence and Clarence Center. I know you don't care, but there you go.

My former wife Sharon and I went on a driving vacation of Western New York a few years ago, and on my agenda was getting to visit Clarence, which I had seen on a map as a child nearly 30 years ago and always wanted to visit. Yes, I am not lying, this was going to be exciting (for me!) as I envisoned myself taking photos next to everything Clarence. There's Clarence at the Clarence Bowling Alley. (Snap!) Clarence at the Clarence Shopping Center. (Snap!) Clarence at the Clarence Massage Parlor. (Snap!) You know, stupid kinda stuff.

Well, there really wasn't too much in Clarence. But there were some cosmic occurences.

I discovered a few miles away an Eckerson Street, my last name! The first and last Eckerson Street I have ever encountered. Explain that one!

It continued at the Clarence Deli. I picked up the local paper. It's called the Clarence Bee for crissakes! "B" or "Bee" has been my nickname since I was a tyke!! It's short for B.J. (or Bucky Jr.) Another odd coincidence and (Snap!) Sharon took that photo you see with me smiling with glee and Clarence Bee in hand.


Just then a van pulled into the parking lot. On the side it said B.J.'s Plumbing!! We looked at each other with one of those okay-what-the-hell-is-going-on? glances and quickly left Clarence. But we didn't leave me behind, just the town.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth M. said...

Nice! I've driven through Elizabeth, Minnesota before, and took my photo next to Elizabeth Liquors....

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home