Thursday, May 18, 2006

"I'm Walking Here!"

I just stopped the movie I was watching to write this one up. I had to.

Today, I was in Times Square shooting video of traffic and pedestrian conditions from the 17th floor of One Times Square - that's the building the ball drops from on New Years.

Anyway, I was there with a squad from the Project for Public Spaces (PPS) who was also shooting video. One PPS guy was talking about my work and he said I should consider incorporating the scene from "Midnight Cowboy" (1969) where Dustin Hoffman is nearly hit by a cab and exhalts that famous quote, "I'm walkin' here!" This chap also went on to tell me that the scene in the film was ad-libbed, the cab wasn't supposed to be on that street.

Fast forward: tonight, I am watching the awful Bruce Campbell-directed flick, "Man With A Screaming Brain" (2005.) Just 11 minutes in, some force compels me to sign onto IMDB to check out "Midnight Cowboy" and to check under the trivia section to confirm the tale from today.

He was wrong. It was written that way. But that isn't important right now cause I look up from the computer and a cab in the movie I am watching nearly strikes a Bulgarian woman and she blurts out in her native tongue Hoffman-style, "I'm walkin' here!"

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth M. said...

The Fates are having fun with you again, Clarence!

9:11 PM  
Blogger Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Love it! Just one question. How does one decide to watch a flick such as "Man With A Screaming Brain" in the first place?

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home